The Center for Experiential Learning is offering a new summer course focused on leadership theory and practice. This class is open to students across all disciplines or class level interested in developing their leadership skills and potential.
GEN ST 348: Leadership from the Inside Out
Term A: MTWTh, 12:40 pm-3:20 pm, SLN#11632 (5 credits, CR/NC)
Instructor: Francesca Lo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Over the past twenty years, a revolution has occurred in the way
leadership is conceptualized across most fields and disciplines.
The concept of leadership has moved from being leader-centered,
individualistic, hierarchical, focused on universal
characteristics, and highlighting power over followers to a new
vision where leadership is process centered, collective, context
bound, nonhierarchical, and focused on mutual power and influence.
This summer intensive class offers a highly experiential
opportunity to guide you in incorporating cutting-edge leadership
theories and knowledge into your own style of working with and
leading others. We will explore intrapersonal, interpersonal,
organizational and transitional leadership skills needed for
socially responsible leadership. Grounded in revolutionary
concepts in leadership, this class focuses on developing the
skills, knowledge and attitudes needed to serve as effective
change agents in your communities and fields of work.
Thursday, May 2, 2013
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
MAQ Software has exciting Software Engineer positions to work on Business Intelligence and Microsoft Windows Azure applications at our Redmond, WA office. We employ many University of Washington Computer Science and Electrical Engineering graduates. I have included the company details and job description below my signature.
I would love to speak to you about our opportunities. Please give call me at 425 526 5399 x 104 or let me know when I can call you.
MAQ Software is a digital marketing and a technology solutions company that helps customers reach their markets effectively on time and on budget.
Founded in 2000, the company employs over 300 people in three engineering centers located in Redmond and India (Hyderabad and Mumbai). Our solutions use advanced Business Intelligence features of SQL Server 2008 R2, the latest cloud computing trends including Windows Azure and the latest form factors such as Windows Phone 7.5.
We foster a strong engineering culture with a ‘can do’ attitude. All of our key managers share excellence in their backgrounds with significant experience in developing and growing the company for many years. Due to our smaller size, our managers lead the effort of adopting the latest technologies and computing trends ahead of the larger industry players.
Our developers routinely work on challenging technical problems that utilize the latest technologies for fast paced software delivery. Examples of some of the problems are:
- One of our clients has recently made huge investments in marketing and sales using social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. They want to see which of these social networks are producing positive outcomes and providing key opportunities. The data is literally the entire universe of social data and reports need to mine through each entry to identify strengths and weaknesses. The consolidated, cleaned and transformed data needs to be presented using HTML 5 platform that can be accessed using both portable and fixed devices.
- Display web site traffic data for ten million users per day. In order to display the web traffic pattern, you need to evaluate front end technology alternatives (native HTML5 controls or Silverlight controls and so on). Some of your considerations will be development and testing effort, browser compatibility, rendering speed, database connectivity, load time, etc. You have to come up with the optimal approach and implement it within 3 weeks. Some of the tools used are Visual Studio, SQL Server 2008 R2 and newer SQL Server 2012.
- For one of our clients, we developed a COM+ based browser helper object (BHO) to track end user activity for the sites visited. Based on the sites visited, the business team provides customized marketing promotions to a certain type of users. Our software solution ensured that our browser plugin collects data from client machines and sends data securely and privately to a remote server. Next, we analyzed data to understand consumer behavior and modified promotions to increase success rate and sales for the promotions. We wrote unmanaged code in Visual C++, used XML extensively for data formats and related Windows based servers for storing data.
- For another client, we developed a Business Intelligence solution to pull high volume data (more than 150 million rows) from source tables to a staging environment efficiently. We developed visually rich reports that allow business users to analyze the data from different perspective and do what-if analysis based on business needs. We developed ETL packages to pull high volume of data in 30 minutes and developed reports using HTML 5 based controls with optimal page performance.
Gather Software requirements (~20%)
- Participate in regular conference calls with onsite and customer team
- Understand business needs to develop software requirements
- Elicit requirements from onsite team and customer team
- Develop iterative prototypes based on requirements
Application development using C#, Microsoft SQL Server, SharePoint Server, ASP.NET (~50%)
- Design and develop software architecture that is reliable, scalable, and high performance
- Identify design alternatives and conduct technical feasibility
- Develop proof of concepts for technical evaluation and early customer feedback
- Develop algorithms to convert functional specifications into software design
- Write code and document it
Business Intelligence (BI) application testing (~10%)
- Ensure the consistency between the defined requirements, the implementation of the business logic at the database layer, and the user’s experience in interacting with that data
- Work closely with BI, DW, and DB developers to understand, analyze, make solution recommendations and define alternate strategy for data design, ETL processes, and unit testing of data
- Develop, maintain, and enhance unit test suites to verify the accuracy of ETL processes, dimensional data, OLAP cubes and various forms of BI content including reports, dashboards, and analytical models
- Write relational and multidimensional database queries
- Debug, monitor, and troubleshoot BI solutions
Code Analysis using quality tools (~10%)
- Run quality tools on the software
- Analyze the reports generated by the tools and incorporate the changes/ results
- Conduct peer code reviews and external code reviews
Training and certifications (~10%)
- Participate in technical trainings and clear Microsoft certifications like 70-461, 70-480, 70-463, 70-466, 70-467, 70-331 etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Computational Math Sciences or related fields
Why consider MAQ Software?
- Work on fairly complex projects for Microsoft Corporation and other US companies on the latest software platform (Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2012, SharePoint 2010 and HTML5/ CSS3 etc.)
- Deliver 4 - 6 projects in a typical year to gain great experience and a develop a strong resume
- Follow latest software engineering techniques including Agile and Lean development techniques which empowers you to contribute to your fullest potential
- Highly rated training program – in its 9th year, our intense training program prepares you to join live projects within three months of joining the company
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
I’m interested if you might know of potential candidates for these open positions I have in my team at our Intel DuPont WA site, just south of Tacoma.
We’ve had success in the past with UW EE grads in our Board Design Engineering Area and also with a long-term (12 month) intern in our Signal Integrity Area, and now we’re looking for another.
(The Board Design Engineer Grad Intern position I mentioned earlier has now been filled).
Our team designs the latest, high-speed, complex boards and complete computer systems aimed at Data Centers, Cloud Computing and High Performance Computing.
This year, we have opened additional positions and I’d like to see if folks from UW would be interested.
For Interns, we are looking for folks who already have their BS degree and who would like a longer-term internship, with time to learn our toolsets and processes.
My current openings are posted on www.intel.com/jobs with these requisition numbers & titles.
Signal Integrity Grad Intern
Hardware Engineer-Board Design
Hardware Engineer-Board Design
Students: Do you have a world-changing idea?
The Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition (GSEC) is a social venture plan competition open to enrolled university students in any discipline around the world. Applicants submit an executive summary of a business idea that both addresses an issue related to global poverty and will be implemented in the developing world.
The deadline for this year’s competition is Tuesday November 12, 2013 at midnight Pacific Time. Semi-finalist teams (about 15-20) will be notified in early December, and will be invited to compete at the week-long competition held at the University of Washington in Seattle February 24-28, 2014, where they will receive coaching, network with hundreds of local health, development and business professionals, attend an event with the Seattle Rotary, and finally, compete for cash and in-kind prizes, including a grand prize of $12,500, a $10,000 Global Health prize, a $10,000 ICT prize, and other prizes from the Rotary and NCIIA, detailed along with their criteria here.
Monday, April 29, 2013
Have you the academic ability to thrive at one of the world’s leading universities?
Are you passionate about improving the lives of others?
Have you the leadership skills to take others with you?
If so, apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship. These highly-competitive, full-cost scholarships are available to citizens of countries outside of the UK to undertake a postgraduate degree in any subject at the University of Cambridge. With a global network of over 1,000 Gates Cambridge Scholars and Alumni from over 90 countries, you can be part of a life-changing experience and change the lives of others.
Unlike the Churchill, Marshall, Mitchell, and Rhodes Scholarships, applicants must first apply and be admitted to the University of Cambridge in order to be eligible to be considered for the Scholarship. As a result, interested candidates do not have to be nominated by their University to apply.
Hear about the Gates Cambridge Scholarship and study at the University of Cambridge from two Gates Scholars.
Sam Sudar attended St. John College, Cambridge as a Gates Scholars earning a Master of Philosophy in Neurobiology. Sudar is a second year PhD Student in Computer Science working on brain interfaces and technology for the developing world.
Michael Duyzend attended Girton College, Cambridge as a Gates Scholar earning a Master of Philosophy in Computational Biology. Duyzend is a second year MD/PhD student working with whole genome sequencing data to better understand the genetic underpinnings of autism.
Eligible candidates must:
· Have received a baccalaureate degree by the time they plan to enter the graduate programs
· Have outstanding intellectual ability and leadership potential
· Be committed to improving the lives of others
· Be a citizen of any country outside of the United Kingdom.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship Information Workshop is scheduled for
Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 4pm-5pm
171 Mary Gates Hall, Conference Room 173R
Please RSVP at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/90
For additional information, please contact Mona Pitre-Collins at email@example.com in the Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards.
COMPANIES PERFORMING INFOSESSIONS ON CAMPUS
Employers use InfoSessions as an opportunity to share information about their company and network with UW students and alumni. Here is a list of companies coming on campus to perform InfoSessions within the next few weeks:
Employer/ Grad Program
DataHouse, a Hawaii-based global technology and consulting firm, is a company of highly skilled people who are committed to delivering quality business solutions and building enduring client partnerships. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about computer technologies, committed to delivering superior results and possess a desire to continually expand their knowledge and skills.
4/29/2013 5:30pm-7:30pm MGH134
Looking for CSE, Engineering, Informatics, Business (info systems) and related majors
City Year is an education focused, nonprofit organization that unites young people of all backgrounds for a year of full-time service to keep students in school and on track to graduation.
5/1/2013 4:00pm-5:00pm MGH 134
Looking for all Majors
thePlatform helps content providers, broadband media sites, and mobile businesses solve their unique media publishing requirements. Our proven media management and publishing technology services scale with our customers’ operations and support their business model with an open, versatile approach to providing an ideal technical solution for their needs.
5/1/2013 5:30pm-7:30pm MGH 134
*Major target not specified yet
HOW TO RSVP FOR AN INFOSESSION
· Look for the purple “Employer InfoSessions” tab at the top right of your home page
· Find the event and click the title
· Click the “RSVP” button at the bottom (*note- some companies also require you to RSVP at their website)